Involves asking for information on the following:
- Present health and reason for treatment
- Past medical history
- Family medical history
Diagnosis involves: taking the pulse, observing the tongue, palpating the abdomen, neck and back.
Course of Treatment
Patients initially come for 6 – 8 sessions. The course of treatment is then reviewed.
- For acute problems, fewer and more frequent treatments might be needed.
- for more chronic conditions: the course of treatment may be longer.
- In the case of Cosmetic Acupuncture a series of 12 sessions performed weekly is recommended. Results are visible around the 7th or 8th session. Monthly maintenance sessions will prolong the results as will a healthy diet and a balanced lifestyle.
- Shonishin treatment is applied to children aged one month to 8 years old, once or twice a week, for a few weeks, depending on the condition, or once a month for general well being.
- Initial consultation can take up to 90 minutes with subsequent sessions taking 45 minutes.
- For Shonishin Paediatric Acupuncture, children respond very quickly, treatment takes no more than 30 minutes with an initial appointment of 45 minutes for diagnosis.
- A minimum of 24 hours’ notice is required to cancel or re-arrange an appointment in order to avoid being charged for the session.
- Patients must ensure they have eaten on the day of the treatment.
- Alcohol should not be consumed before an acupuncture session and it is beneficial to try to make time to relax after treatment.